Cooking at Home
Sharing some “MY WAY” Recipes
So, when I decided to try Perdue farms, I found myself NOT wanting to purchase meats from the Supermarket ever again, not knowing if it’s fresh or not.
“Arroz con Pollo”
- 1/4 cup oil (CANOLA , OLIVE or Avocado) some use Vegetable oil – whatever your preference
- 1 entire chicken (4 to 6 pounds) chopped into pieces
- 1 chopped onion Red, Yellow or White
- 1 chopped green bell pepper
- 2 Tsp. of Paprika (if you enjoy it with a slight kick) or Ground annatto
- 2 garlic cloves minced or mashed
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) stewed tomatoes
- 1 pound rice
- 2 tsp. salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dry
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1 leaf of bay
- 2 cups chicken stock (or as much as you need to cover)
- 1 cup Frozen veggies (optional)
- 1/2 cup olives, sliced (optional)
- 1 cup Cilantro or Culantro plant (chopped)
MY WAY RECIPE
Start heating up the oil of “YOUR” choice over medium heat in a Dutch pot. (We call it “Caldero”)
Once you see that oil is hot, start slowly putting the chicken pieces in and cook until browned, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon (the one with holes so that you can drain all the juices from the chicken) and place it on a plate.
In that Dutch pot, start cooking the onion, green bell pepper, minced garlic, and whole garlic cloves until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. If you are familiar with “Sofrito” add 2 or 3 of that deliciousness in there too. REMEMBER this recipe is about Doing it YOUR way!
Bring 2 cups of the chicken stock to boil, stirring constantly. Toss in the olives and the chicken (skin-side up) in the pot. Cover the Dutch pot, decrease the heat to low, and cook for about 25 minutes, or until the chicken stock is absorbed, rice is soft, and chicken is cooked through.
With this quick and easy recipe, I want you to keep in mind if you don’t have an ingredient substitute with something similar. It’s Ok!
Remember these recipes are…
“MY WAY” … “YOUR WAY” …
These will be the ingredients you will need.
- 1 box of FETTUCCINE PASTA
- 1 LB of Chicken Breast cut up in small pieces
- 1 Tablespoon Butter
- 2 tablespoons of Any Oil of your choice (I use Olive, Avocado)
- 1 Tablespoon of Whatever seasoning you want (I use various..Bruschetta, Italian)
- 3/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
FOR THE YUMMY CREAMY SAUCE
- 2 Cups of Heavy Cream Or Half & Half … or Any Milk
- 1/2 Cup of Butter
- 3/4 Teaspoon of Garlic salt or Garlic Powder
- 1 Crushed Garlic
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Black Pepper
- 2 Cups of Parmesan Cheese
1. Start boiling water in a large pot add salt to YOUR liking. Add the pasta cook for 8 to 10 minutes. When the pasta is ready drain well, but leave 1/2 cup or so of that water aside. The pasta water will thicken the sauce.
Let’s start cooking those Cut up Chicken Breast
2. Warm up the Oil, then add the chicken then add All the Seasonings (except the crushed garlic) Cook the chicken until golden brown. I do it this way because I want my chicken to start grabbing some flavor.
3. Add the butter while stirring everything together then put the cooked chicken aside because now we will start making the yummy sauce.
4. In that same pan cook the crushed garlic in butter, once you start smelling that delicious garlic add the milk and stir until it thickens.
5. Add the parmesan cheese to the milk and continue stirring until it melts. If you are content with the milk texture leave it as is, if it is too thick for your liking, then add some of the water we put aside.
6. Now let’s put this delicious meal together or YOU can serve the pasta first then pour the sauce on top.
Garnish it with some more Parmesan cheese, sprinkle a Lil bit of Parsley, Oregano, or basil.
STEAK KEBABS (SKEWERS)- ANOTHER MUST TRY “DO IT YOUR WAY” RECIPE
- 1 LB OF TOP SIRLOIN STEAK (TRY CROWD COW MEATS) OR CHICKEN
- ONIONS Any YOU prefer (cut into thick wedges)
- PEPPERS (cut into thick squares)
- 1/4 Tsp OF FRESH GROUND PEPPER AND KOSHER SALT
- 1 Tsp CUMIN
- 1 Tsp CHILI POWDER
- 1 Tsp PAPRIKA
- 2 Tsp OLIVE OIL
- 1/2 Tbsp MINCED GARLIC (optional)
- SKEWERS (metal or wood)
These can be done on your griLL or oven. If you choose oven make sure to soak the wooden skewers in water. You can also skip the skewers.
SEASON THE STEAK LET IT MARINATE IN THE REFRIGERATOR. THE LONGER THIS STEAK MARINATES THE MORE FLAVOR IT WILL GRASP.
30 MINUTES BEFORE YOU START COOKINTHE G TURN ON OVEN IF YOU ARE PLACING IT IN THE OVEN IF NOT THEN START HEATING UP THE GRIDDLE.
START THREADING THEM WITH THE SKEWERS STEAK, PEPPER, ONION, STEAK, PEPPER, ONION
PLACE THEM ON YOUR GRILL OR OVEN. IF YOU’RE DOING THEM IN THE OVEN PLACE THEM ON A BAKING SHEET PAN, TURNING THEM EVERY 10 MINUTES.
IF YOU ARE DOING THEM ON A GRILL PREHEAT.
START PLACING THE SKEWERS 4 TO 5 MINUTES EACH SIDE.
REMOVE THE KEBABS AND SERVE IMMEDIATELY.
THIS CAN BE EATEN WITH SOME ITALIAN BREAD, GARLIC BREAD, GET CREATIVE WITH YOUR SIDES.
ENJOY THESE KEBABS YOUR WAY!!
MY WAY HOMESTYLE PANCAKES
First, let me tell you I LOVE cakes or anything that is fluffy like a cake, and if you follow these simple steps your pancakes will come out Nice and Fluffy too. It took me a few tries to get them this good. So, It’s time to share it…
- 2 cups KRUSTEAZ Buttermilk Pancake flour
- 1 Cup or less of cold water
- 2 Spoons of Coconut oil (optional) I like it cause it makes the pancake taste good
- 1 Tsp of Cinnamon or more (depends how much you want)
- 1 Tsp Vanilla (I use Nielsen-Massey or McCormick)
- 1 Tsp Nutmeg
- Any Butter you like for the griddle
Start heating up Pancake Griddle (medium heat)
In a Mixing bowl start whisking together the flour and cold water, the coconut oil, the cinnamon, and nutmeg. Again… if you DON’T like these extras you don’t need them. You can use ANY flavor extract YOU like. There’s Lemon, Maple, many that are DEELISH !
(try not over mix, a few lumps are ok)
Let the batter sit for a good 5 to 10 minutes. I found this step to be the key to why they come out fluffy. I could be wrong. lol
Pour batter slightly on griddle you choose how big you want them and how many each person is devouring.
COOK only 1 minute and 1/2 on each side and ONLY flip once if you want them fluffy. You will see top part with bubbles the bottom part is golden brown.
If you can get your hands on DORSET MAPLE RESERVE Syrup…please do so. I highly recommend you to try their syrup.
P.S. If you happen to be in New York on Christmas time try to visit BRYANT PARK HOLIDAY SHOPS they usually have their Kiosk with ALL their delicious different flavors syrup.
SHRIMP WITH PASTA IN WINE GARLIC AND LEMON SAUCE
THIS RECIPE WAS TAUGHT TO ME SO I CAN’T TAKE CREDIT FOR IT. BUT…I HAVE TWEAKED IT A LIL HERE AND THERE AND SORT OF MADE IT MY OWN.
- 1 BOX OF THIN SPAGHETTI, REGULAR SPAGHETTI, OR FETTUCCINI
- 2LBS OF SHRIMPS PEELED AND DEVEINED
- 3 TABLESPOONS BUTTER
- 3 TABLESPOONS OF OLIVE OIL
- 4 GARLIC CLOVES CRUSHED
- SALT AND PEPPER
- 2 TABLESPOONS OF DRIED PARSLEY
- 2 TABLESPOONS OF CHIL FLAKES (OPTIONAL)
- 2 TABLESPOONS OF LEMON JUICE
- 1/2 CUP OF WHITE COOKING WINE
- 1/2 CUP OF SEAFOOD BROTH
- 3 TEASPOONS OF FLOUR
- 1/2 TEASPOON ITALIAN SEASONING
LET’S START BY BOILING WATER WITH GARLIC SALT
THEN GENTLY PUT THE PASTA IN THAT BOILING WATER
NOW LET’S START COOKING THE SHRIMP IN THE OIL AND BUTTER AND GARLIC BUT ONLY FOR 2 MINUTES IF YOU COOK THE SHRIMPS LONGER THEY GET HARD AND OVERCOOKED. NO BUENO.
TAKE THE SHRIMPS OUT AND PUT THEM ON A PLATE TO THE SIDE
IN THAT SAME PAN START PUTTING IN THE REST OF THE INGREDIENTS
ONCE THE BROTH IS COOKED WITH THE FLOUR YOU CAN PUT THE SHRIMPS BACK IN LOWER THE FLAME
DRAIN PASTA AND MIX TOGETHER
YOU CAN GARNISH WITH CILANTRO (OPTIONAL)
JUICY HOMEMADE BURGER
Burgers are yummy who can resist a burger unless you are Vegan. If you love meats as I do then let’s Make this DELICIOUS JUICY BURGER Recipe.
This homemade hamburger is made in less than 30 minutes. With or without the cheese.
- GROUND BEEF (80 LEAN 20 FAT)
- WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE
- SALT, GARLIC POWDER, BLACK PEPPER, ONION POWDER , AND OR ANY OTHER SPICES YOU ENJOY
IN A MIXING BOWL START ADDING THE GROUND BEEF, BREADCRUMBS, EGG, WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE, MILK, AND SPICES.
THOROUGHLY COMBINE UNTIL THE MIXTURE IS SMOOTH
START FORMING YOUR PATTIE MAKE A DENT IN THE MIDDLE SO IT DOESN’T RISE UP WHILE COOKING.
START HEATING UP YOUR SKILLET MEDIUM HEAT.
I LOVE USING A CAST IRON SKILLET
$20 off Select Our Table 2QT Enamel Cast Iron Cookware
IF YOU WANT THE PATTIES THICK COOK 4 MINUTES ON EACH SIDE.
STACK YOUR BURGER WITH LETTUCE, TOMATOES, PICKLES, GRILLED ONIONS, MUSHROOMS, BBQ SAUCE THE OPTIONS ARE ENDLESS!